Saturday, June 23, 2007

Se7en (Things About Me)

I have been tagged to reveal seven things about myself. Here ya go, Pat:

1. It bugs me when check-out lines have signs that read "Ten Items or Less" instead of "Ten Items or Fewer". Thanks to my college roommate Josh who taught me the general rule: If you can count it, it's fewer. If you can't, it's less.

2. I am addicted to coffee.

3. I started playing the guitar when I was around 14 years old. My dad had his old nylon-stringed guitar stored in the basement. I found it and a book entitled Learn to Play Guitar Like the Monkees, and the rest is history. I now have two electric guitars (a Squire that I never play and an American Series 70s-style Strat plugged into a 50-watt Marshall) and two acoustics (a Takamine usually tuned to open D tuning and a Seagull, which I highly, highly recommend). I want to get a 12-string Seagull at some point.

4. I love to cook. In my house, I do most of the cooking, meal planning, etc. My wife loves me.

5. I would be perfectly happy never shaving again and growing out my beard to Castaway-type proportions. Alas, I do not live in Boulder, so I am content with my goatee.

6. Although I work in corporate America right now, eventually I will be a pastor. I would also like to take a stab at writing, which is one of the reasons I started this blog.

7. I co-direct a Christian distance-running camp every year in the mountains near Estes Park. We bring in kids from all over the region and teach them about Jesus and running. I know we are doing big things for the kingdom of God, although I doubt that I will ever see our true impact. (I know the same is usually true for anyone who ministers to youth.)

10 comments:

Danny Wright said...

sounds like you've got some right brain actiion going on with your guitar. That doesn't suprise me. I fiqure it takes some right brain ability to be a good writer. Looking foward to sharing in "our" addiction.

Frasier said...

Really cool about the kids and Jesus and running....
Its true about not knowing the impact you make...One day some kid is going to say....So and so ...said this to me and it was a turning point in my life...

Pat Jenkins said...

jon, the running camp is a special project, continued success with it. you quite the rocker huh, who are those of influence for you? i don't know about the non shaving part, though more of my face covered the better!! thanks for all the dirt!!

Anonymous said...

hey jon - just dropping in to see what amazing words of wisdom you might share with the world! And, I didn't know 'bout the camp thing - that is pretty awesome!

Livingsword said...

Hi Jon;

Nice to get to know you a bit better. As everybody else took what seems to be interesting about you I will talk about the most important part, I love coffee also. Coffee and chocolate! They have to be good for you… they are both from beans!

Since you like coffee so much you may enjoy an article I wrote one of my blogs back in May, about a special coffee:

http://creationontheblade.blogspot.com/search/label/coffee

Jon said...

Pat,

SRV was my main inspiration to pick up the guitar in the first place. Joe Bonamassa would be another one who I find flat-out amazing. I have also been inspired as of late by Phil Keaggy. Although I don't like his recorded music so much, I want to learn how to use effects/loop pedals like he does.

Jon said...

livingsword,

Ah, yes, the fabled Kopi Luwac. I read of this in The Gospel According to Starbucks.

I also really like yogurt. Mmm...it's alive!

Jon said...

Debbi,

Hey, how is everything? I haven't talked with you in a while! Drop me a line or something.

Jon

Pat Jenkins said...

jon, not bad influences, stevie ray could jam!!! not to mention some of my favs but i have loved craig chaquico's work with jefferson starship as well as his post jazz career. if you have not had a listen he may be worth your while!! satriani is one of my boys as well!!! i look forward to hearing you play someday!!!!

Livingsword said...

Jon;

You say you work for corporate America right now. Do you have any thoughts on the interactions between corporations and the Church or how about the Church (Christianity) and politics? Maybe you could comment on my current article in regards to this? I would love to get your take and that of your other guests for that matter. Thanks.