Saturday, July 28, 2007

Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan

In an effort to introduce good music to people everywhere, I am starting a new feature on this blog. This new feature is called Culture Corner, and with it I will attempt periodically to post videos of excellent music. In today's culture, there is little truly good music coming to us. This is not to say that there is not good music--just that one will not find much of it in pop culture. To do my part to alleviate this matter, I am beginning Culture Corner.

Much of the music I share on Culture Corner will likely be the blues because it is so sorely underrepresented in today's music; however, it is one of the best forms of music in my opinion. Perhaps I will explain why I feel this way in a future blog, but before I do that, I will show you my reasons...

The very first song I want to share with you is Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan. He was simply the best. He inspired an entire generation of guitar players (most definitely including me). He played with a passion that no one could equal. Although his life was cut short by a helicopter crash, I can only hope that his music will live on forever. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Livingsword said...

Jon;
Excellent video and song, I have always loved that one, great idea. You are calling it culture corner so I am hoping it will expand to include other kinds of culture, perhaps form other parts of the world, how about Ireland, some U2 would be good :)

Jon said...

Yeah, I named it thus so there would be plenty of room to expand. Please feel free to make suggestions in the future, too. U2 does have some excellent stuff.

Pat Jenkins said...

yes it is a good idea jon, i look foward to your picks for flicks!!!

Frasier said...

Enjoyed that.You will get some Indian recommendations from me !!
I loved"Joshua tree" by U2

Livingsword said...

I’m in on frasypoo’s recommendation (or any other U2 for that matter).

Jon, and guests I am curious as to your thoughts on a article I have just published on my blog Life on the Blade. As I get quite a few non-Jesus followers visiting my blog it would make for interesting and helpful dialogue to have the comments of a few brothers and sisters. If you are interested the article is “Letter to Osama”.

Jon; thanks for this shameless plug! (But I would really like to get your opinion).