Saturday, July 7, 2007

10 Days Out: Blues from the Backroads


I recently obtained 10 Days Out: Blues from the Backroads, a dual-disc album put out by Kenny Wayne Shepherd. In 2004, Shepherd, along with Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon (SRV's old band, Double Trouble), went on a road trip throughout the South in an effort to preserve the music of the originators of the blues. (The blues has the same roots as jazz, both having come from slave music.) Shepherd tracked down many of the pioneers in blues, most of whom are very, very old. But my, oh my, can they still play!

The album contains a CD of 15 of the songs that were recorded on the trip. I believe all of the songs were recorded live, in one take. As I listened to it, I realized how good these musicians are, even in their 70s, 80s and 90s--they only need one take! Their ability to connect with the listener via music is second to none.

The album also comes with a DVD documentary of Shepherd's road trip. It is put together similarly to a PBS special. By watching, I learned many interesting things about the men and women who formed the blues, and I really came to respect the musicians and their music even more than I, a blues fan, already did.

This is more of an informational posting than a "blog" per se, but if you like music at all, I would recommend picking up this album. First, it's just plain ol' good music. Second, it's a history lesson about black American culture. (It's truly a shame that black culture has turned to rap and R&B for its music, when it has such a rich musical past.) Third, it might get you hooked on the blues, which can only be a good thing.

(By the way, if any of you do like the blues or great guitar playing, also check out Joe Bonamassa, who I think is the best rock/blues guitarist on the planet right now. )

Happy listening!

2 comments:

Frasier said...

Will check it out.
I have also felt that the rich history of music by African Americans has been ignored.I love Ethel Waters,Eartha Kitt etc and the funny part is that young Black Americans will ask"who?"
Is there anyone you would recommend along the lines of Ethel Waters?

Jon said...

I am more into "guitar" blues than blues singers, so I don't have any suggestions for you. However, you might check out the Blues Vassal's page for more info. He is a local DJ here in Denver that has a show called "Strictly Blues" every Sunday night.