Saturday, August 4, 2007

On Hate.

I was spurred on to good deeds today by my friend Danny's post on the Minnesota bridge collapse. He was lamenting over those who would attempt to use tragedy for political gain. (Notice the "Support Bridges Not War" banner pictured on Danny's site.) I immediately thought of all of the anti-Bush bumper stickers that pollute the Denver highway system.

The first and only thought that comes to my mind when I see one of these bumper stickers is this: What a shame. I remember Jesus' words on the subject: "Love your enemies." Jesus' enemies killed him. What worse evil has Bush done to my fellow Denver dwellers?

Furthermore, what does hating Bush accomplish? I have never met the President. From what I can tell from afar, he seems like a very cordial man. He doesn't seem like the spawn of Satan. Even if he was of devilish origins, though, how would hating him help matters? This is my guess: George Bush doesn't care if someone he doesn't know exists hates him. Also, I doubt he is going to change his foreign policy because he sees someone's bumper sticker while flying overhead on Air Force One. So what do these car-window quips accomplish? I suppose they broadcast one's hatred, so that other drivers can know exactly what you think in five words or fewer. (Newsflash: They probably don't care, either.) Second, and more importantly, they are the festering sores of a deeper issue. When you are consumed by hatred, you are the one who is hurt. It is your soul that withers; it is you who are the problem.

If you truly take issue with the President, I urge you to do as Jesus did: Love him. Pray for him. Support him by offering solutions, not empty criticisms and ad hominem attacks. For God's sake (and ours), sacrifice your hate to be part of a better solution.

3 comments:

Livingsword said...

Interesting article Jon, it is much easier to criticize a leader than to be a leader. All leaders like everybody else have their weaknesses and strengths. Neither Clinton (Bill) nor Bush (George W.) were/are as good or bad as they were/are represented or viewed by the populous.

President Bush I believe is a greatly misunderstood man. I suspect that he is a man of altruism, this is his motivation. He may be accurate or inaccurate as to his altruism but never the less it is what motivates him. Persons that are not motivated in that manner do not trust people that are altruistic; they just can’t believe that another person could work that way, so they then interject the perspective of greed, glory, etc. It is difficult for some to understand that he will stand by his convictions no matter what. After all he did say before the election that he was going to “spend” all of his “political capital” before his term was finished.

One of the wonderful things about democracy is that people can express themselves in this manner; it is a wonderful substitute for civil war.

As followers of Jesus we must always keep the teachings of Scripture at the forefront of our lives but we cannot expect non-Jesus followers to “play the same game”.

Jon said...

It is true that nonbelievers will not adhere to Jesus' teachings, but I would think that anybody could understand that a bumper sticker reading "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing its idiot" does nothing to further political discourse.

Livingsword said...

Hi Jon;

I have been away on vacation in your wonderful country, and while in Seattle I had a great opportunity to witness a “political demonstration”. I thought of this article of yours while I witnessed this event (note your impact), and I have written an article about it on my blog, I think you may find it interesting; it is called “War and Hate”.