Monday, August 13, 2007

You Want Me to What?

I read the story of Gideon this week. I knew that he was a great guy who led Israel to victory over her enemies. I knew that he hands out lots of Bibles now. But I must confess, I never knew how he got his start.

It turns out that the Midianites and the Amalekites were going throughout Israel and devastating the place. They were destroying all of the crops and taking all of the livestock. They were basically razing everything so that they could come in and set up camp. Israel had to go hide out in caves just to stay out of their way! (This personally reminds me of Ernest Goes to Camp.) This is where we meet Gideon. He, being the youngest of his brothers, draws the short straw. He has to climb up out of the cave and try to salvage some of the wheat harvest. With every step, he is looking around for the Midianites, the most dangerous of enemies. But he does not meet the Midianites. He meets a friend, though far more dangerous.

The angel of the LORD appeared to him and said to him, "The LORD is with you, O valiant warrior."

If I were Gideon, I would have laughed. I'm a valiant warrior? I make my living by hiding in caves! Besides, I'm the youngest of my brothers; I'm expendable--why do you think I'm out here, anyway? Precisely because I don't matter! And Gideon's reaction is only marginally better than mine. He questions the angel, who answers by telling him to go deliver Israel from Midian (a classic God response).

As if that isn't ludicrous enough, Gideon, after waving some fleece around, actually decides to give it a shot! After all, Israel has a decent-sized army. Maybe he can do it. It's better than beating wheat, anyway. But God--neglecting the advice of Gideon, I am sure--gives him all of 300 men, sending 31,700 perfectly good soldiers packing. (And do you think those 300 men were the cream of the crop? Look at their leader!)


Again, if I were Gideon, I would be writing out my will at this point. This is absolutely hopeless. I'm going to die out here because I believed a wet piece of cloth. I wonder what my funeral will be like.

Of course, this is when I realize that I am Gideon. God has told me that I will do greater things than Jesus; I can't even succeed at reading my Bible every day. The apostles performed great miracles; I work in a cubicle. What can I possibly do?

The point of the story is that is precisely where God wants us. This way, when we do have great victories, there is no doubt that God is the true victor. What can I do? Not much. What can God do through me? All things.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

5 comments:

Livingsword said...

Jon;
As always an interesting article, is that the TGMBV? (Tigers Got My Back Version, nice ring or roar to it eh?).

I very much appreciate the way you paraphrased it, very enjoyable to read it in that format.

I am interested in your more in depth take on Judges 6:36-40. Often followers of Jesus supposedly “put out a fleece” yet in verse 39 even Gideon recognizes he has shown weak faith by saying to God “Do not let Your anger burn against me that I may speak once more” (NASV).

I think Gideon is one of the coolest Biblical names and I am surprised it doesn’t get used more often; I wonder what everybody else thinks of the name.

Jon said...

Livingsword,

Sorry for the late reply. I have much to do and precious little time in which to do it.

I think Gideon felt he had to make very sure that this is what God wanted of him. Remember, this was an absurd request that would very likely lead Gideon to an early grave. Add on to that the fact that he was the least qualified person for the job.

So I suppose that there are times where God does respect our request for confirming signs. In this case, it was a life-or-death decision in which the history of Israel, and thus the coming of Jesus, was hanging in the balance, so to speak. Are there big decisions like that for us? There are definitely life-changing situations where we do ask for an receive signs. (Or what's worse, God gives us signs when we don't ask!) So I would say from this passage, just remember the context, and don't ask for a sign about what to eat for breakfast.

Danny Wright said...

Sometimes I feel like a warrior, sometimes I feel like ahh.... well... a nut. (You might be too young to remember that commercial) Perhaps it is when I feel like a nut that I'm most likly to be a good warrior, and vice versa.

I'm with you all the way on relating to gideon. I wouldn't have it any other way either.

BTW, I love Earnest Goes to Camp. My wife hates it.

Jon said...

Almond Joy, baby!

Livingsword said...

Hi Jon;

Today I noticed the link to your Church, I checked out the web page. Looks like a wonderful Church; it’s also a cool web page.