Thursday, June 7, 2007

Hell is Autonomy.

In an informal "part two" to the last blog, I want to comment on one more thing that Alistair Begg said in his sermon the other day. As part of his discussion on the character of God, he talked about humankind's autonomy. He made the point that God allows us autonomy. We don't have to believe in Him. We can say, "No thanks, I will get through this life on my own," and He will oblige us. He will let us go it alone, and that, said Begg, is Hell. Hell is autonomy. Hell is us getting our own way.

When seen in this light, God doesn't send anyone to Hell--a person goes of his or her own volition. If a person wanted nothing to do with God on earth, why would that change in the afterlife? If you have read The Great Divorce by Lewis, then you know what I am talking about. In it, a bus full of people from Hell drives up to Heaven, and in the end all of the passengers decide they prefer Hell to Heaven. Each would rather hold on to his or her autonomy than submit, even to God.

I can't even will my own heart to beat; how can I claim that I don't need God?

2 comments:

Frasier said...

If a person wanted nothing to do with God on earth, why would that change in the afterlife ?

That was the best statement I have heard in a long time!

Livingsword said...

The conversation about freewill in regards to predetermination which is at the core of what you are speaking of is certainly garnering much attention in Church circles of late.

The Great Divorce is a good book and Lewis informs as well as educates with some of his best writing within the confines of this little book. The example you give is one of its best evidences of this.