Sunday, December 16, 2007

Taking a Deep Sigh of Relief.

PHEW.  Finally, the end of the semester.  After taking a year off from seminary, I went back to school this Fall.  This time around, however, I am also working full-time.  I learned a few things about the experience this semester (which, alas, I will repeat twice more):
  • (40 hours of work/week + 6 hours of class time/week + 6-8 hours of study time/week)*16 weeks = 1 brain-dead zombie.
  • Seminary does not necessarily bring one closer to God.  In fact, it is my experience that the opposite can be true.  
  • There is a half-way house for people with psychological issues right next to the seminary.  There is also a road connecting the two places.  It is there for a reason.
  • During my year away, Denver Seminary did not cease to be a difficult place to complete a master's degree.  Being in my fourth year, the actual content of my classes is now pretty easy.  I've been doing it long enough that it's just variations on a theme.  However, the workload is still trying at times, especially for someone with a job and a family.
  • Seminary does not help a person to be physically healthy.  Proper diet and exercise falls prey to staring at the wall while pretending to read.  
  • Strangely enough, I believe I learned more while not in seminary than while in it.  I think this has something to do with the difference between reading what I want to read and reading what I have to read.  Also, this is evidence that the seminary is doing what it is supposed to--mold its students into life-long learners.
I still think Denver Seminary is an excellent institution, and I know that going there has and will continue to prepare me for vocational ministry.  Also, I would still encourage anyone who wants to be challenged to go there.  But know this--I'm going to throw one heck of a party when I'm done!

4 comments:

Craig Blomberg said...

And the party will be well deserved! I'm glad your overall views of us are still positive. I also like to point out to students that every feature of seminary that makes other aspects of life demanding applies to ministry as well. The difference is that the stakes and consequences are much higher if one can't keep one's life in balance in ministry than if it happens in school. 6-8 hrs. studying a week for 6 hrs. of class? You're lucky, since our guidelines are 2 hrs. outside of class for every hour in class and 3 hrs. per one for a language class. We typically advise people working a full-time job with a family as well not to take more than one course per semester! But, that said, it's been great having you in class, Jon!

Jon said...

My view of the seminary is definitely still a positive one. I will always be thankful that I went there.

I might have underestimated the amount of studying I do, now that you mention it.

Livingsword said...

Be encouraged Jon! I can’t wait to read you when you come out the other end of the tunnel!

It’s interesting reading your description….we know that workaholics become less effective and the same is true no matter the choice of preoccupation….LOL

Livingsword said...

WOW cool!

Jon you have a real celebrity commenting on your blog!!!!

I still haven’t managed to get Amanda from Survivor China to comment on my blog!

Nice to “meet you” Mr. Blomberg!