Sunday, December 16, 2007

Politics of Politics.

I have to be honest.  I am getting sick of politics*.  Every political campaign brings a fresh battery of negative or deceitful ads assaulting my eyes, ears and soul.  Republicans are criticized because they are Republican; Democrats because they are Democrat.  So-and-so had a child out of wedlock.  So-and-so voted to starve old people.  "George Bush is stupid." (Wow, what enlightening political commentary that is.)  

I serve an omnipotent God who concerns Himself with redeeming men's and women's souls.  He is fighting a battle with eternal ramifications.  The laws of any nation are words are here today, gone tomorrow.  

I am a committed Christian, and all my life I have been told that responsible Christians vote.  I am a registered voter, and I do vote.  I become less apt to do so with each passing day.  I hate the divisive nature of politics.  I hate the attitudes and actions of the power-mongers who populate the governing bodies.  I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Here is my question: Why should I be concerned about our nation's political scene, as a Christian (my allegiance is to Christ first)?  If being involved in politics can be a good and moral activity, how so?  In other words, why should I care about our government when there are people within my sphere whose lives I can make better?

I want to be a follower of Christ in this country.  I need a little help on this one.


*I am speaking of state and national politics, not so much local politics.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,

Good post! (I really appreciate your blog, by the way). Francis Schaeffer addresses the political problem succinctly and poignantly in A CHRISTIAN MANIFESTO. It is a short read (assuming you haven't already read it...forgive me if it is a false assumption).

I just addressed some of this on my blog, albeit VERY briefly (perhaps too briefly). However, your question calls for Biblical grounds for political participation, which I did not give. I am now inspired to dig. Let me know if you come up with something before me! :)

Sarah

Livingsword said...

Hi Jon;

I wrote a series of articles on this very theme as I am so similar to you on this, you can find it on the right sidebar of my Life on the Blade blog under “Politics and Religion: Law and Relationship with God: The Series”. I would love to read and respond to any comments you would add….

Jon said...

Sarah,

Thanks, I have not read that book by Schaeffer. I will have to do so.

Jon said...

Livingsword,

I did appreciate your blog posting on the subject. I think the scriptures you pointed out are very poignant. (Although I admit, I haven't make it through all of the responses yet.)

I look forward to continuing the conversation if I can with this post.

I will think upon it some more, and perhaps make more comments afterward.