Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Law of American Karma

I hear the word “karma” used an awful lot these days. When someone mentions karma, they are usually referring the following law: If you do something good, something good will happen to you; if you do something bad, something bad will happen to you. This is the Law of American Karma. I am intrigued with this idea of karma because I see it as a caricature of real religion.

I am reading An Introduction to Buddhism by Peter Harvey currently, because I wanted to know more about the real idea of karma. I have had a hunch that most Americans have a skewed view of it, and from what I have read I am right. Karma is a Buddhist belief that is intertwined with the cycle of rebirth and the attainment of nirvana. In a very brief nutshell, Buddhism teaches that suffering is caused by desire. A person must eliminate desire to escape the cycle of rebirth, which doesn’t happen until he or she attains nirvana, a state of complete non-attachment in which a person is neither conscious nor unconscious. Karma is the idea that your actions influence—and this is key—your future lives. Your current life is influenced by your past lives’ karma. This means that to speak of an action’s karma influencing you in the present life, as far as I can tell, is not a proper Buddhist interpretation. Furthermore, a person who believes in karma necessarily believes in reincarnation.

What does this mean? Most importantly, it means that I am a card-carrying member of Anal Retentives of America (ARA) and the Obsessive Readers’ Guild (ORG). I think it also means that there are many people out there who don’t put a lot of thought into the important questions of life. In this case, people latch on to the word karma, which has been ripped out of its original context and given a new meaning, and go about their merry way. The same happens with many religious words: God/god, spiritual(ity), Jesus. Many people are quite happy to go to the smorgasbord of religion, pick out what looks good to them and alter it to fit their needs.

Is this a good way to look at religion? I would think not. A person’s worldview influences all else he or she does; might it then be more important than grazing at a salad bar? Shouldn’t some thought be given to whether or not his or her religious beliefs equate with reality? One does not get to pick and choose the realities of life; why would one expect to choose their explanations? Likewise, the universe does not care if it “works for” you; therefore, perhaps your worldview should “work for” the universe.

At any rate, for many people, five minutes' worth of serious thought on the subject might be revolutionary.

Are there any other ARA or ORG members out there? Maybe we should get t-shirts or something.


Addendum: For another good example of "religious smorgasbordianism" see this blog on Moralistic Therapeutic Deism.

8 comments:

Livingsword said...

The ever practical evangelist in me wakes up and says “what Jon is saying here is accurate, how can this misconception of non-Christians be used to reach them”? I have found conversations around karma to be very productive in reaching the lost. A casual observation of the world around us does seem to imply a kind of “karma” like that the average North American “believes in”. Check out these verses:

As I have observed, those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it.
- - Job 4:8 (NIV) Eliphaz speaking

7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. 8For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.
- - Galatians 6:7 (NASV)

If people believe in a kind of karma their world can be “turned upside down” by the “karma slayer”! Grace. Grace kills karma. It kills karma in the here and now and it slays karma in regards to getting things right with God. The more they are enslaved to karma the more emancipating is grace.

Have a look at the lyrics to the U2 song “Grace”:

Grace, she takes the blame
She covers the shame
Removes the stain
It could be her name

Grace, it's the name for a girl
It's also a thought that changed the world
And when she walks on the street
You can hear the strings
Grace finds goodness in everything

Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma
She travels outside of karma
When she goes to work
You can hear her strings
Grace finds beauty in everything

Grace, she carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips between her fingertips
She carries a pearl in perfect condition

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Grace makes beauty out of ugly things


Interesting isn’t it? I think I will create an article about this for my own blog.

Danny Wright said...

I'm afraid Jon that I might be a member of the Frustrated Readers Guild, but what the heck, I'll take an ARA shirt. God has blessed me with a wonderful wife and two wonderful children, but the result of this is of course frustration when trying to read.

Great post. When I think of Karma, I think it a great worldview for the uncritical. I would probably be one myself but I'm hopelessly critical. The reason I would be drawn to it is the relief from the discomfort I experience when confronted with the suffering of others. With this worldview I could console myself with the belief that they must have been a terrible person in a previous life. And of course I wouldn't want to interfere with working that off or who knows, they may have to come back and do it all over again.

Danny Wright said...

Duuah! Livingsword got the first word! Great comment; penetrating. I've come a long way, but I've much further to go, yet not me but Christ in me.

Jon said...

Livingsword,

I appreciate your practical applications to my thoughts. Keep 'em coming!

Jonathan Erdman said...

In this case, people latch on to the word karma, which has been ripped out of its original context and given a new meaning, and go about their merry way. The same happens with many religious words: God/god, spiritual(ity), Jesus. Many people are quite happy to go to the smorgasbord of religion, pick out what looks good to them and alter it to fit their needs.

Right on.

I think it also means that there are many people out there who don’t put a lot of thought into the important questions of life.

No, it's just that the "important questions of life" have changed from theological/biblical/philosophical to, "Gee, should I get the HD-TV subscription or stick with my current cable television program."

The same happens with many religious words: God/god, spiritual(ity), Jesus. Many people are quite happy to go to the smorgasbord of religion, pick out what looks good to them and alter it to fit their needs. Is this a good way to look at religion? I would think not. A person’s worldview influences all else he or she does; might it then be more important than grazing at a salad bar?

A couple of thoughts:
1) This is the "melting pot." And this is capitalism. Hence, it should not be altogether astonishing if we kind of pick and choose religions like we pick what kind of furniture to buy or clothing to wear or food to eat.

2) I wonder how wrong this is. I 100% agree with you that deep thought is sorely lacking in our society, no doubt. But is there any other way to develop a worldview outside of evaluating various beliefs in a critical fashion and then taking some good from it and rejecting some of the bad??? Is the salad bar approach the problem, or is it just the lack of thought and critical analysis put into our choices?

Jon said...

Jonathan,

I thank you for your thoughtful response. As a comment to thought #2, I wonder how much media influence may be to "blame" here. Given the extremely compartmentalized and rapidly changing TV landscape (the news goes from a murder story to sports to a car commercial, with no time to reflect on any of it), it makes sense that one might think about everything, including religion/worldview/etc, in this way--nothing has to match anything else, and there is no such thing as context. (I get this idea from Neil Postman, by the way.) I'm not saying this is the root cause, and I'm probably overstating the situation a bit, but perhaps it plays a factor.

Jon said...

BTW, I still have rabbit ears on my TV.

Pat Jenkins said...

could we throw sin into one of the words that has been misused?