Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Jumping on the Global Warming Bandwagon

Global warming concerns me. It probably doesn’t concern me for the reasons you might think, though. What concerns me about global warming is that not many people are challenging it. Let me clarify at the beginning—I am not saying that the earth is not heating up, or that we should not treat the environment responsibly. I am saying that in the last six months, it seems that everyone has decided that global warming is here, its destruction will be complete in nature, and we are directly responsible for all of it.

There are a few questions I have about global warming that not many people seem to be asking. First, how do we know what temperature the earth is supposed to be? The standard scientific view says that the earth is 14 billion years old. We have accurate temperature data for certain parts of the world for the last 150 years. By evaluating ice-core samples, scientists have a pretty good idea of the temperatures for the last 1,000 years. This means that we have empirical temperature data for roughly 7.14x10-6% of all earth’s history. It seems odd to me that one could take such a small data sample and make such large claims with it. Besides, I recall learning about ice ages and heat waves that happened long before humans appeared. How is the current warming trend different?

Second, the environment is dynamic, with a multitude of factors at work. How can we be so sure that man-made carbon dioxide is the root cause an impending catastrophe? Carbon dioxide is just one piece of the environmental pie. I am not suggesting that it plays no role whatsoever, but there is no guarantee that if we all stopped driving cars, the earth would suddenly revert to “normalcy” (whatever that is).

Third, computer models predicting future temperature changes vary widely. For that matter, the five-day weather forecast isn’t always accurate. Why do we put so much stock in them? Is it because it’s technology (which, of course, is always good) used by scientists (who, of course, are always correct and unbiased)? Where have our critical-thinking skills gone?

I am afraid that our society has yet again succumbed to the tyranny of the present. As Ann Coulter stated a few years ago, “For many people, history started this morning.” Never mind that twenty years ago the feared global ice age never happened (I am just old enough to remember this). Never mind that Y2K was a dud. “This time, we mean it!”

Again, let me stress that I am not advocating mistreating our planet. If we can take better care of things down here, then by all means, let’s do it! But I fear that we are blindly following the latest cultural craze, which may or may not turn out to be true. (If it turns out to be false in twenty years, I guarantee that no one will admit to having believed it—it will be forgotten and abandoned without a second thought.) We should be critical of global warming, not because of a lack of concern for the environment, but because history’s past failures demand it of us.

9 comments:

Livingsword said...

Well said, I agree with you.

As a matter of fact I just wrote a similar article with a different flavor on one of my blogs today then came to yours and here we are on the same theme! It is everywhere.

At the same time you have an image of what seems to me to be a fantastic Siberian tiger on your intro page. They are critically endangered. With all this action blended in with uncertainty about global warming are we still helping where it is certain we do need to do more?

Jon said...

Good point. I must admit that I don't really know where or how to help. Where is the line between genuine concern for the earth over which God has given us dominion and political environmentalism, which has manifold problems?

Any ideas? How can we live out Genesis 1:26-30 today? What are we doing right? What are we doing wrong?

Danny Wright said...

Isn't the Global Warming debate the logical fallacy "begging the question"? It seems I have two choices here: 1. Be for turning all U.S. sovereignty and wealth over to the UN, where learned and unbiased environmentally righteous men can take care of me. 2. Be an ignorant and self-centered naysayer that just wants to drive my SUV, and live in a 5000 s/f house-kind of like Gore, except he cares- even if it kills all of us to do it.

To be honest global warming terrifies me too, not because I think humans have any part in it, but because it demonstrates the gargantuan gullibility of seemingly otherwise intelligent people. This begs a question: Do you think Gore really believes what he's preaching?

Livingsword said...

What, you change your intro image just so my comment doesn't work, I have enough trouble making sense already!

Nice snow ball in the sun...Being globally warmed?

Jon said...

Sorry, it wasn't because of you! I had been meaning to sneak in a picture of my cat Emma for a while. Yeah, she's all about global warming if it means more sunbeams for her!

Jon said...

Danny,

"Begging the question" is a form of logical fallacy in which an argument is assumed to be true without evidence other than the argument itself. I would say that a closer logical fallacy might be "appeal to authority" in this case.

That being said, I think your assessment of options is quite correct. Basically, there are many people who are using the environment as a means to gain power over how you and I live. I don't know whether Al Gore falls into this category or not, but he and others like him do seem very hypocritical, as you say. And that does raise questions of integrity...

FYI, I have been reading Modern Times by Paul Johnson, and he paints a rather negative picture of the UN. He makes very evident their self-righteous attitude of which you speak.

Livingsword said...

Jon I have been thinking a lot about your questions in your first response to my initial comment on this article. I started writing you a reply but... it got to long for a reply so I placed it as an article on one of my blogs. Tell me what you think, thanks.

Livingsword said...

Oh the tiger is back, or does your cat turn into one when it goes outside? :]

Jon said...

The only time we ever let Emma outside (the white one you saw), she freaked out. D'Artagnan, on the other hand, attempts to go outside all the time, though he has only been successful a handful of times. Alas, they are only tigers in their own mind.

By the way, nice picture. "Lemur" happens to be my favorite English word.