Thursday, September 24, 2009

Why the Bible is Still Relevant Today

Theological and Practical Implications of Judges 3:7-11

...When people abandon Yahweh in favor of any other allegiance, they absolve him of any obligation to them. In fact, they render him their enemy and may expect his judgment. On the other hand, when an individual who has been called by God into his service challenges the forces of evil and darkness in his [God's] power, the hosts of heaven and earth are dethroned. Herein lies the hope for the moribund church today. In the words of Yahweh himself, through his prophet Zechariah, victories are won "not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit" (Zech 4:6).

NAC: Judges, Ruth by Daniel Block, pp. 155-6.

2 comments:

Danny Wright said...

I read this the other day on someone elses computer. I re-read it today on my computer with a dictionary readily available. Now that I've looked up "moribund", this post packs a punch. May it hit me solidly.

Jon said...

I have been working through Judges with Block's help. The idea of complete loyalty to Yahweh is striking, and it raises the age-old question of how much one's culture should influence him or her.

Punch-packing stuff, for sure.