Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Laboring in Vain?

“Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58

Such is Paul’s climactic application for 1 Corinthians 15. He has just argued for the reality and centrality of bodily resurrection for the Christian, how we will one day receive a new, glorious body and live forever in perfect fellowship with God and others. Therefore, because of that great reward which awaits us, we are to stand firm in our faith. Okay, I can see that. An eternity of bliss is worth a few years of enduring hardships. That makes sense well enough. But then Paul adds one more sentence in which he states that our “labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

This is another case where it seems that doctrine and experience are at odds (at least for me). Let me illustrate. I always seem to get the tough nuts to crack, so to speak. The non-Christians in my circle of friends historically have not been all that interested in adopting Christianity as their religion of choice. By and large, they enjoy discussing religion and spiritual things, they have no qualms listening to my point of view, and I get the impression that they might even respect me for believing as I do and living out that belief system. But they have no interest whatsoever in becoming a follower of Christ. The usual culprit is their intellect. They are held prisoner by the idea that things just aren’t that simple as the gospel message would claim. The Bible wasn’t written to be taken so literally. What can we really know about this Jesus guy, anyway? There are so many different religions out there, how can there be just one that’s correct? And the list goes on. Although I know arguments to counter each of these questions, I have also learned that often they don’t do much good. This is what I have come across as I do the work of evangelism: Lots of prayer, lots of good discussions, lots of good friendships for which I am thankful, even, but ultimately no decisions for Christ.

It’s hard to look at this situation repeat itself over and over again in my life and believe that the work is not in vain. What am I accomplishing? What good have I done? How am I screwing up? Perhaps I am being too pessimistic. Perhaps one day I will find out that I did more than I thought. But I won’t know until that day.

I suppose in the end, I have to accept the fact that I did what was asked of me—I have tried, in the power of the Spirit, to be faithful. The results are not up to me. But when one labors long and hard with nothing tangible to show for it, the word failure does crop up in one’s mind.

Am I a faithful failure?

4 comments:

ChrisB said...

I think the only kind of failure we are accountable for in this is the failure to try.

In the past, I've likened it to fishing.

Anonymous said...

Good question. I enjoyed your post, and although it might be nice if I had a simple answer, I think that it could cheapen the deep question which arose from the struggle. I'm still mulling here. Let me get back with you after more thought, but I haven't and don't see many characteristics of a failure in you. Glad to see you in the big blog world!

~Courtney (Bade) Gras

Jon said...

Chris,

Thank you for the link. I do like that metaphor.

Courtney,

Nice to hear from you! Some more food for thought given to me by a professor at Denver Seminary: Sometimes God calls us to fail.

Danny Wright said...

Better faithful failure than faithless success. I read this yesterday and was trying to think of something encourgageing to say. I can't, except that I will pray for you that every time you open your mouth words will be given you so that you will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel.