Friday, July 24, 2009

Begging the Question

I typically let most grammar and usage mistakes slide. Mind you, when I find one in print or hear one spoken, it still makes me cringe. I have learned, though, just to let it go, except when I think that pointing it out would be beneficial to all parties involved (for instance, when I am grammarian at a Toastmasters meeting). I come across a few mistakes, however, over and over again, and sometimes I must comment.

The particular oft-misused phrase stuck in my craw at the moment is begging the question. Countless times have I heard or read something like, “The Rockies have been on a tear since firing manager Clint Hurdle. That begs the question, why was Hurdle not fired sooner?” The fact of the matter is Hurdle’s firing does not beg the question of timing. It raises the question.

Begging the question (a.k.a. petitio principii) is a logical fallacy in which a statement or claim is assumed to be true without evidence other than the statement or claim itself. Note that in the phrase begging the question, beg does not mean “plead for” but rather “assume” and question does not mean “a sentence in interrogative form” but rather “the thing one is trying to prove.” Thus, begging the question literally means “assuming the thing one is trying to prove.”

For example, the famous zinger, “When did you stop beating your wife?” begs the question. It assumes that you have been beating your wife, even though no evidence has been produced that you do in fact beat her. Another example is, “OJ could not have killed his wife, because he just wouldn’t do that sort of thing.” It assumes that OJ could not have killed his wife because he would not kill his wife. No evidence is produced to suggest why he would not perform such an act other than “he just wouldn’t.”*

Perhaps I am being way too anal about this, but I believe that clear and cogent thinking is extremely important, and an important part of solid thinking is having a solid understanding of the words and phrases used. Furthermore, not only is the phrase begging the question often misused, the real fallacy of question-begging is common, as well. Thus knowing the true meaning protects you from misusing your words and your logic.

So the next time you read, “The economic crisis begs the question, when will things turn around?” join me in cringing in your chair. Let out a good, hearty scream while you are at it. And then relax by chanting this mantra: It doesn't beg the question; it raises the question...It doesn't beg the question; it raises the question...It doesn't beg the question; it raises the question...It'll make you feel better. I promise.


*Apologies for the misogynistic examples; ladies, please do not take offense!

4 comments:

Danny Wright said...

Thank you so much Jon. I'm sure I have caused you boat loads of anguish. :) I am guilty of this very thing. It's funny, I always knew that it wasn't right for the very reason you stated. I thought that perhaps it could be properly used in both cases. I do like "raises the question" much better.

It's funny, I just wrote this short little post that will publish tomorrow before coming here:

I learned a new quote from Benjamin Franklin. "He who teaches himself has a fool for a master." That certainly cleared up some of the "whys" of my struggles.


I'd certainly appreciate you bringing to my attention reoccurring errors on my part, if it isn’t any trouble. Becoming a better writer was one of my reasons for starting this whole thing anyway. I’m not sure how much longer I shall contend with myself.

I will also be in Denver on 11 August. Are you still interested in having that cup of coffee?

Jon said...

Danny,

I just sent you an email about the 11th.

Jon

Joe said...

Jon, I tried to comment on the above video, but the comments were closed, so I'm commenting here.

I loved the video.

I listened to President BO's address and was struck by his statements about what will and will not be "allowed."

Guess who gets to do the allowing.

I have reported myself about eight times, the last time with actual relevant paragraphs from the HR 3200 health care bill.

Jon said...

Joe,

Thanks for the comment! I have changed the post settings to allow for comments.

Thanks,
Jon