Friday, August 8, 2008

Dihydrogen Monoxide - Penn and Teller

My mom forwarded this video to me this past week. I immediately knew that I had to post it, since it so accurately describes my own view on "saving the environment". Penn and Teller's adept social commentary shows the dangers of 1) being so consumed by a cause that the ends justify the means and 2) not educating oneself properly.

I actually did this same thing back in college. I posted a petition outside my dorm room as a joke, and I even got a few signatures--including the RD, who signed his name along with a message instructing me to take it down. (I'm pretty sure he thought it was funny, though.)

Enjoy!


2 comments:

ChrisB said...

I hung this up at the school paper in college. Turns out journalism majors don't take chemistry. It was funny :)

Phil Wagner said...

You gotta love it. I think we are all guilty of believing something that is silly simply because we believe in something. Hippies will sign a petition banning Dihydrogen Monoxide because they want to protect the planet in any way possible and some (emphasis on the some) religious people will do some crazy things because they think that it will get to heaven or get other people to heaven.