Sunday, February 3, 2008

Freedom of Thought.

One of my favorite things about Denver Seminary is captured well by the words of long-time administrator Vernon Grounds: "Freedom to think within the limits laid down by Scripture." This statement is incarnated by the mix of professors and students who make up the seminary.

In my seminary career, I have become friends with and learned under people with beliefs ranging the evangelical spectrum (and even some outside of evangelicalism *gasp!*). I have had a class with a dyed-in-the-wool Republican professor, only to go directly to my next class, taught by a registered Democrat with Liberation theological leanings. I have fellowshipped with students who were tee-totaling business entrepreneurs and anti-capitalist beer connoisseurs. Some refuse to patronize Wal-Mart, some (like me) worked for them.

Though not always a Utopia, I have enjoyed my time at the seminary, and a lot of that is due to this reason. I enjoy the eclectic mix of theology and politics, because it forces me constantly to evaluate my own beliefs. And I can assure you, those who doggedly hold on to shoddy ideas in such an arena are probably not engaged.

There is a wide spectrum of beliefs in Christendom, some good, some not so good. I have learned that there are a lot more good ones than I thought. "Freedom to think within the limits laid down by Scripture" enables us (well, most of us) to dialogue respectfully with those who may view things differently, while at the same time moving forward singularly toward our goal of glorifying God.

And that is a very refreshing thing.*

*I should note that this has been my own experience. There are students who have had quite different experiences, and I do not presume to speak for them.

1 comment:

Craig & Priscilla Coe said...

I like that quote from your administrator. I've definitely learned in my adult life that there is freedom in Christianity. While growing up I saw it as bondage. This quote just emphasises the freedom we experience in a relationship with Christ. But it also points out that in life there are boundaries, just as God originally intended it to be. Left to our own vices we would destroy ourselves. Anway, sorry for the babbling...I like the quote. :)