Saturday, November 3, 2007

Death of a Fellow Runner


This morning, Ryan Shay, who was one of America's top distance runners, died during the U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon in New York. It is believed that he suffered a heart attack at around the five-mile mark. He was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.

This is a sad day for the sport. Though I am not running at present, I did used to be one of the better runners out there. In fact, I ran against him in 2003 at the U.S. Championships Half-Marathon in Kansas City. Well, he won the race, while I barely cracked the top 20. Nevertheless, runners share a special bond, and my heart goes out to Ryan and his wife. Runners are a special breed, and he will be missed.

1 comment:

Livingsword said...

Sad story…it amazes me how dedicated runners can be particularly those who have made it to such a high level…it enhances my desire to “run the race”…if they can be that dedicated for that kind of thing how dedicated should we be at following Jesus?