Sunday, September 23, 2007

Martin Luther in His Own Words

"I could use two secretaries. I do almost nothing during the day but write letters. I am a conventual preacher, reader at meals, parochial preacher, director of studies, overseer of eleven monasteries, superintendent of the fish pond at Litzkau, referee of the squabble at Torgau, lecturer on Paul, collector of material for a commentary on the Psalms, and then, as I said, I am overwhelmed with letters. I rarely have full time for the canonical hours and for saying mass, not to mention my own temptations with the world, the flesh, and the Devil. You see how lazy I am."

(Replying to Sylvester Prierias, who drafted a reply to Luther’s 95 theses on behalf of the pope)
"I am sorry now that I despised Teztel. Ridiculous as he was, he was more acute than you. You cite no Scripture. You give no reasons…You call me a leper because I mingle truth with error. I am glad you admit there is some truth."

"Luther once, when asked how he envisaged the appearance of the apostle Paul, answered with an affectionate guffaw, 'I think he was a scrawny shrimp like [Philip] Melanchthon.'"

(In a debate with John Eck)
ECK: Are you the only one that knows anything? Except for you is all the Church in error?
LUTHER: I answer that God once spoke through the mouth of an ass.

(Reply to the papal bull against Luther)
"They show their ignorance and bad conscience by inventing the adverb 'respectively.' My articles are called 'respectively some heretical, some erroneous, some scandalous,' which is as much to say, 'We don’t know which are which.' O meticulous ignorance! I wish to be instructed, not respectively, but absolutely and certainly. I demand that they show absolutely, not respectively, distinctly and not confusedly, certainly and not probably, clearly and not obscurely, point by point and not in a lump, just what is heretical. Let them show where I am a heretic, or dry up their spittle."

"I was wrong, I admit it, when I said that indulgences were 'the pious defrauding of the faithful.' I recant and I say, 'Indulgences are the most impious frauds and imposters of the most rascally pontiffs, by which they deceive the souls and destroy the goods of the faithful.'”

"I was wrong. I retract the statement that certain articles of [the heretic] John Hus are evangelical. I say now, 'Not some but all the articles of John Hus were condemned by Antichrist [i.e. the pope] and his apostles in the synagogue of Satan.' And to your face, most holy Vicar of God, I say freely that all the condemned articles of John Hus are evangelical and Christian, and yours are downright impious and diabolical."

"Workers with brawn are prone to despise workers with brain, such as city secretaries and school teachers. The soldier boasts that it is hard work to ride in armor and endure heat, frost, dust, and thirst. But I’d like to see a horseman who could sit the whole day and look into a book. It is no great trick to hang two legs over a horse. They say writing is just pushing a feather, but I notice that they hang swords on their hips and feathers in high honor on their hats. Writing occupies not just the fist or the foot while the rest of the body can be singing or jesting, but the whole man. As for school teaching, it is so strenuous that no one ought to be bound to it for more than ten years."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luther certainly had immense wisdom and wit! Thanks for the gems.

Danny Wright said...

Hi Jon

Danny here. I know you're busy these days but I finally got that overnight in Denver. I'll be staying at the Fairfield Inn Den Airport and will have the morning available. I just spent the last few minutes looking for your email address but couln't find it. If you'd like to get together for some coffee, let me know.

Unknown said...

Martin Luther is awsome yea man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!